Hello there guys! Throughout these few years that we've been developing, producing and supporting personal evaporative coolers, we have received all the possible feedback there is :). As we have found out, confusions mostly get caused by the special aspects of the device's working principle. Let's see what gets guessed wrong and how to avoid that when you're looking for a microclimate solution :).
Here's a few tips in case you're in doubt or would like to learn more about the evaporative cooling.
Personal evaporative cooler does not
▪ cool down a whole room (because it is personal)
▪ work well in a room with no ventilation (because it is evaporative)
▪ work well if the humidity level is higher than 70% (same, because it is evaporative)
▪ have an option of outgoing air temperature direct setting (also because it is evaporative)
Personal evaporative cooler does work
▪ within the airflow itself - in front of the device, 1-1,5m from it for the best result (your personal area)
▪ in a well-ventilated room (water evaporates while evaporative device is working, making the humidity level higher and higher if there's no ventilation, decreasing its own effectiveness)
▪ when the air is hot and dry (it is hot dry air that can be turned into moist cool air by the evaporative device)
▪ making the outgoing air temperature as low as external weather conditions allow to (external weather conditions define to what extent the air is hot and dry)
What does it get us to?
- The devices are not to cool down a certain room but a personal space of its owner when placed near the person. Whether the effectiveness is high or low would depend on how dry the air is, what the humidity level is and whether there is ventilation or not.
- Since the water evaporates and saturates the air, there will be no use in this if the air is humid already (area's climate, lack of ventilation in the room, etc). So device's efficiency becoming not that great of course.
- In a closed room it will be close to zero as the humidity level would simply jump up as the result of the evaporative cooler's operation, so the ventilation is a must.
Those are the cases when personal evaporative device is probably not the best choice as it simply wasn't designed for them. However, the external conditions still do vary during the day and conventional ACs also dry air significantly making indoor air much drier.
In all other cases Evapolar personal evaporative cooler is a perfect solution for your own comfy working/relaxing zone microclimate and atmosphere shaping. Not to mention it being a stylish interior design piece!